Evan was a pro at climbing out of his crib, and we were actually hoping to use the crib with Oliver (who was already a few months old this time last year), so we needed to get him a big boy bed. There was one problem - his bedroom is small! So we needed to maximize our space.
I scoured Pinterest, and at first I saw the IKEA KURA bed. I loved what some people had done with it! But when we went to IKEA, it just didn't grab me. I didn't like the feel of it, or the mattress that was supposed to go with it. I wanted to use a normal thickness twin mattress, and I wanted higher guard rails.
So I started looking for loft plans, and basically a DIY IKEA KURA.
When I came across THIS blog post by crab + fish on Pinterest, I was SOLD. I had found the one! Or so I thought at the time.
They used a bed plan from Ana White, which led me to her website. After looking through all of her bed plans, I came to a new decision. The steps from the first plan, but I wanted to use the Surf Bus Loft Bed plan for the bed itself. Instead of making it into a bus or car, we were planning on decking it out Disney Planes style. We did end up using the Surf Bus plan, but soon realized the bedroom was too small for the stairs from the first plan. But that's ok!
We modified the height of the bed, and the rails, to fit our own preferences. To save money, as my husband was taking a month off work unpaid for his surgery, we used OSB on the sides. If we didn't have cats, that would have been fine. One of our younger cats has been scratching at the OSB, so a year later, I would like to replace it with higher quality material in the near future.
My husband ran into a problem early on. Our drill, which was an old hand-me-down, wasn't holding battery power, and wasn't charging well. It was going to be a long weekend! Since we knew he still had a lot of work to go, and that we had to go get the bedding from Target (a Planes themed sheet set), we picked up a cheap replacement, which worked for the rest of the project.
When it came to putting the OSB on, Evan wanted to help, and Eddie let him. Not that he accomplished much, but it completely made his day to be a part of it.
Eddie completed the construction before his surgery, but given the delay from the drill, it wasn't painted and ready to go just yet. That worked out well though and gave Evan time to get used to the new bed. He loved playing underneath it from the beginning.
We had chosen the colors specifically to resemble Dusty Crophopper. The white was a very simple white, and the orange was Orange Marmalade by Glidden. We bought a small container of black paint to paint the Jolly Wrenches symbol, but never got around to it. And once the cat started scratching up the OSB, it was a definite no. If we do replace the OSB, we can paint it on the side then.
We all really love this bed. My husband is definitely not a pro, and doesn't really have any special tools beyond a simple saw, jigsaw and drill, but he found it fairly simple for his skill level. It would have looked better with all the tools mentioned in the plans, I'm sure, but you can make do without them. The Ana White directions were easy to follow.
Evan loved his new bed, and still does to this day. We're hoping it can grow with him.
*Affiliate link: The comforter for the bed is a licensed Disney reversible comforter with generic planes on it. It does not have any characters on it at all, but I loved loved the design.
We've since moved the crib to our room, and sidecarred it to our bed. In doing this, we freed up a good amount of space and moved the dresser out from under the bed. We put a bookshelf in it's place.
In the future, I want to make a book sling next to the pillow on the bed, and block the gaps in the rails. There was one night that Evan somehow got stuck in the rails - we have NO clue how, because he would have to be wedged down under the mattress somehow. Luckily it hasn't happened again. But better safe than sorry.